Cape Town - Ajax Cape Town have been relegated from the Absa Premiership after being found guilty for fielding an ineligible player, Tendai Ndoro, the Premier Soccer League (PSL) confirmed on Tuesday.
As punishment, Ajax forfeited three matches - against Platinum Stars, Polokwane City and SuperSport United - by a scoreline of 3-0.
In those matches, the Urban Warriors beat Platinum Stars and SuperSport United and drew against Polokwane City, resulting in a SEVEN point deduction from their final league season points tally.
Coupled with the three vital points Platinum Stars received, Ajax were relegated to the National First Division (NFD), while Platinum Stars will now participate in the upcoming promotion/relegation playoffs.
Changes as a result of Ajax Cape Town's relegation:
- Ajax (16th) relegated to the National First Division, end Absa Premiership campaign on 24 points
- Platinum Stars (15th) to play in the promotion/relegation playoffs, end campaign on 27 points
- SuperSport United move up to seventh place, end campaign on 39 points and qualify for the MTN8 next season
- Orlando Pirates will now play SuperSport United while Mamelodi Sundowns face Golden Arrows in the MTN8 Cup quarter-final
- Polokwane City end season in 12th place on 36 points
- AmaZulu fall to ninth place, lose MTN8 place
Revised final Absa Premiership standings: