English Premiership

Mackay settles with Cardiff

2014-05-09 18:43
Malky Mackay (AP Photo)

London - Malky Mackay has dropped his legal claim against Cardiff City after reaching a settlement with the club over his dismissal as manager, he announced via his lawyers on Friday.

"Today I have reached a settlement agreement dropping all claims I have made against Cardiff City Football Club," Mackay said in a statement released by Slater and Gordon Lawyers.

"I did not want to be in litigation and believe that it is in the best interests of all parties to have a clean break and move on."

Mackay, 42, led Cardiff to promotion from the Championship last season but was sacked in December 2013 after falling out with the club's owner Vincent Tan.

Since his dismissal, Mackay has criticised Tan for not sufficiently preparing the club for the Premier League, but in his statement he apologised to the Malaysian businessman "without reservation".

"The club's owner Mr Vincent Tan invested heavily in the club and supported our decisions in our push for promotion to the Premier League. Without him this would not have been possible," Mackay added.

"My thanks to all those at the club and the fans who have supported me during my time in Wales. If I have caused any offence to anyone during this time, especially to Vincent Tan, then I apologise without reservation."

Former Manchester United striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer succeeded Mackay, but the Norwegian was unable to prevent the south Wales club from succumbing to relegation.

In a statement of their own, Cardiff said: "Cardiff City Football Club can confirm that Malky Mackay has dropped all legal claims against the club, bringing a number of issues to an end and allowing both parties to move on.

"The agreement represents a positive outcome for the club. We now look forward and focus fully on planning for next season and the challenge of regaining Premier League status."

Meanwhile, Cardiff centre-back Juan Cala has been suspended for three matches by the Football Association after being found guilty of misconduct.

The charge related to the Spaniard's conduct as he left the field following his dismissal for a professional foul in Cardiff's 4-0 defeat at Sunderland last month. He was also fined 12,500 ($21,100, 15,300 euros).

"Cardiff City's Juan Cala will serve a three-match suspension with immediate effect after a misconduct charge against him was found proven," read a statement on the FA website.

The ban means that Cala will miss his side's final game of the season at home to Chelsea on Sunday, as well as Cardiff's first two Championship matches next season.

NEXT ON SPORT24X

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Vote

Will Jose Mourinho lead Manchester United to the English Premiership title in 2016/17?

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 103rd Tour de France is all systems GO! Follow the pain, struggles and ultimate joy as the world's best riders put their talents to the test over 21 stages.

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.