Wimbledon

Safarova announces 'Bucie' comeback for Wimbledon

2018-06-16 21:45
Lucie Safarova (Getty Images)

Prague - Czech doubles specialist Lucie Safarova said on Saturday her "Bucie" team with American Bethanie Mattek-Sands would return to the sport at Wimbledon following a break due to a string of injuries and illnesses.

"Team Bucie will be back in Wimbledon," the 31-year-old Safarova said on her website.

The pair have yet to win Wimbledon to complete a career Grand Slam after dominating the Australian Open and the French Open in 2015 and 2017 and the US Open in 2016.

They did not have the opportunity at last year's edition of the tournament as Mattek-Sands suffered a serious knee injury in a second-round singles rubber there which sidelined her for months.

Mattek-Sands, who is 33, was the world number one in doubles and Safarova was the number two at that time, but they have since slid to 108th and 27th, respectively.

They were supposed to come back at Indian Wells in March, but Safarova had to skip the tournament because of an illness.


NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Vote

Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season has wrapped up. For all the season highlights - and lowlights - be sure to visit Sport24!

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.