London - Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova withdrew
from the WTA Eastbourne event on Wednesday with a hamstring injury saying it
was precautionary with the grass court Grand Slam event beginning next Monday.
The 28-year-old Czech - ranked eighth in the world - told
the WTA website the hamstring injury felt worse when she awoke on Wednesday and
did not wish to endanger her chances of playing at Wimbledon.
Kvitova - who has been seeded eight for Wimbledon - came
into the tournament on the back of victory at last week's WTA grass-court
tournament in Birmingham, England and was due to play Poland's Agnieszka
Radwanska in the third round on Wednesday.
"I'm really disappointed to have to withdraw from
Eastbourne this morning," the Czech said in a statement, quoted on the WTA
"I felt my hamstring in the Birmingham final and,
although I played with tape in my match here yesterday, when I woke up this
morning it felt worse. With Wimbledon around the corner I couldn't take the
risk of making it worse by playing today."
Kvitova, who won the second of her two Wimbledon titles in
2014, hasn't been past the third round in her last three appearances at the
Kvitova finally close to her best after the horrific knife
attack that halted her career in 2016 has claimed five WTA titles this season,
as well as winning a women's tour-leading 37 matches over the last six months.