ATP Tour

Injured Del Potro officially out of US Open

2019-08-14 07:30
Juan Martin del Potro
Juan Martin del Potro (AP)

New York - Former champion Juan Martin del Potro, who had surgery in June to repair a broken right kneecap, won't be ready for the US Open, organisers said on Tuesday.

The US Tennis Association said the 2009 champion from Argentina - who was runner-up at Flushing Meadows in 2018 - will miss the tournament as he continues his recovery.

Del Potro shared a video of himself walking on a treadmill on July 31.

On June 21 he had said he would undergo surgery after breaking the patella in his right knee for the second time in nine months. At that time he said he didn't know if he'd played his last match.

So it's no surprise he won't be at Flushing Meadows; the USTA's announcement merely made it official.

Del Potro's withdrawal sent American Denis Kudla - who was previously announced as a wildcard - into the main draw. The USTA gave that wildcard to American Christopher Eubanks.

Read more on:    atp tour  |  us open  |  juan martin del potro  |  tennis

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Vote

When all is said and done, who of the 'Big 3' in men's tennis ends their career with the most Grand Slams?

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Featured

The 2018/19 Absa Premiership season is in full swing. Will Mamelodi Sundowns retain their title? Or can one of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits, SuperSport United - or another team perhaps - snatch glory from the Brazilians? Be sure to visit Sport24 for all the latest news!

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.