New York - Rafael Nadal denied a report that he refused to play an
exhibition doubles match alongside Australian bad boy Nick Kyrgios, saying on
Saturday he was never set for doubles.
The Spanish star, a 14-time Grand Slam champion, played an exhibition against
Aussie veteran Lleyton Hewitt in New York last Wednesday with Kyrgios taking
part in a doubles match as part of the show.
A New York Post report, citing unnamed sources, said Nadal was reluctant to
play alongside Kyrgios so the lineup of who played who was juggled to put him
"I always thought I had to play against Lleyton," Nadal said.
"Nobody ever asked me to play doubles with Nick."
John McEnroe, host of the charity event, played alongside Kyrgios against
Pat McEnroe and Jonas Bjorkman.
Kyrgios made a lewd comment to French Open champion Stan Wawrinka during a
match earlier this month at Montreal relating to the Swiss star's girlfriend
and Australian player Thanasi Kokkinakis.
That led to sanctions and fines from the ATP and an eventual apology.