ATP Tour

Djokovic downplays concerns

2015-01-18 12:03
(File, AFP)

Melbourne - Novak Djokovic on Sunday pronounced himself fit and raring to go in search of his fifth Australian Open title after overcoming a bout of illness that had prompted social media users to suggest he was in doubt for the tournament.

Djokovic had cancelled a practice session and news conference on Saturday, which prompted social media to go into a tailspin, though the 27-year-old dispelled those rumours on Sunday.

"I had a tough couple of days. But it's all behind me now. I'm ready for the Open," he said after a practice session on the Rod Laver Arena.

Relief for organisers

"Little bit with the flu and stomach. But I carried that already from the Middle East," he added in reference to his withdrawal from an exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi earlier this month.

"But now it's good. It's passed."

The news the affable Serb had overcome his illness was a relief for the organisers, with the world number one a crowd favourite at Melbourne Park.

He has won three of the past four finals and lost to eventual champion Stanislas Wawrinka last year in an epic quarter-final that finished 9-7 in the fifth set.

Djokovic had already been singled out as the man to beat for the title this year with Rafa Nadal acknowledging the Plexicushion courts were the Serb's favourite surface.

Enough reason

Second seed Roger Federer also said he was the favourite, though Djokovic was just as keen to squelch those expectations.

"I don't think it's nice to talk about the title ... when the tournament hasn't started yet. There are so many players who are contenders to win," he said.

"Considering the success that I had in my career in this tournament gives me enough reason and confidence to believe I can go far.

"(But) 120 players want to prove that they deserve to be in this tournament and they have huge motivation to win against the top players.

"So I'll take it one match at a time."

He is scheduled to play Slovenian qualifier Aljaz Bedene in their first round match on Tuesday and while he had only seen him play once in Chennai, the Serb was not taking anything for granted.

"Obviously he's going to be very motivated to perform well," he said. "He's got nothing to lose (like the other) lower-ranked players, younger players.

"That's what makes them really dangerous in the opening rounds.

"That's why I hope I can start with the right intensity, the way I was starting this tournament in previous years.

"If I do so, I have a good chance to win."

NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Sport Talk

Vote

Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.