ATP Tour

Del Potro out of Indian Wells

2014-03-09 20:52
Juan Martin Del Potro (AFP)

Indian Wells - Sixth-seeded Argentinian Juan Martin del Potro pulled out of the Indian Wells Masters on Sunday with a left wrist injury.

The same injury had forced the world number seven to retire from his first round match in Dubai last month.

"It's still hurting a lot, I'm not feeling 100 percent, I'm not in good condition to compete," 2013 finalist del Potro said in a hastily-arranged press conference at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.

He had been slated to play Spain's Feliciano Lopez in a second-round match on Sunday after enjoying a first-round bye.

Since he had yet to play a match, his place in the draw will be taken by British lucky loser James Ward.

Del Potro had tested the wrist in doubles on Saturday.

"I feel the same pain every day and it bothers me a lot," he said.

"I'm trying to be very careful."

He said he hoped that more than a week of treatment would allow him to play in the Miami Masters, which comes on the heels of Indian Wells.

He has been battling the injury since the Australian Open in January.

It's a sobering situation for del Potro, whose 2009 US Open triumph was followed by a 2010 campaign in which he played just three tournaments because of a right wrist injury.

He earned ATP comeback player of the year honours in 2011 after painstakingly rebuilding a world ranking that had plunged in the wake of his injury.

NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Sport Talk

Vote

Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.