US assures FIFA on travel discrimination fear

2018-05-08 14:11

New York - The Trump administration has guaranteed to FIFA there will be no discrimination around entry to the United States at a World Cup in 2026. 

The North American bid has faced questions about the impact of attempts by US President Donald Trump to implement a ban on travel to the US by residents of six majority-Muslim countries. 

An independent human rights report commissioned by the bid warned there could be "some potential discrimination in relation to travel restrictions for some citizens from certain states." 

But the US government told FIFA in a letter last week that "all eligible athletes, officials and fans from all countries around the world would be able to enter the United States without discrimination. 

The letter was to be cited in a speech in Brussels on Tuesday by Mexico Football Federation President Decio de Maria during an appearance with his US and Canadian counterparts. The three countries are jointly bidding to take on Morocco in the June 13 vote by the FIFA Congress.

Read more on: fifa soccer

More In This Category

Thomas Mueller says the Germans' shock early exit from the World Cup will provide "huge motivation" when he starts the new season.
Russian police have unexpectedly released Pussy Riot punk group members while they still face charges for invading the pitch at the World Cup football final.
Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic has pledged his continued loyalty to the Serie A outfit amid reported interest from Europe's elite clubs.
New Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui says Gareth Bale is happy at the club and will reject any transfer move to Manchester United.