Marcelo, Costa back training for Brazil ahead of quarters

2018-07-03 21:02
Douglas Costa
Douglas Costa (AP)

Sochi - Brazil were given a boost in the build-up to their Soccer World Cup quarter-final against Belgium as Marcelo and Douglas Costa both took part in training on Tuesday.

"Good news! Douglas Costa was released to return to training with the rest of the squad and took part in today's activity," said the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) on their Twitter account, @CBF_Futebol.

The Juventus winger has only featured once in Brazil's campaign in Russia so far, coming off the bench in the 2-0 victory against Costa Rica in their second group outing.

He suffered a thigh injury in that game and missed the wins over Serbia in their last group match, and Mexico in the last 16 on Monday.

Brazil won both games 2-0 and now face Belgium in the last eight in Kazan on Friday.

SEE: OUCH! Twitter relentless in blasting Neymar

Marcelo missed the Mexico game with a back problem, with Filipe Luis filling in at left-back in his absence.

Tite's squad are due to train at their base in Sochi on Russia's Black Sea coast for the last time on Wednesday, before heading to Kazan ahead of the Belgium clash.

Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro will miss that game due to suspension, with Fernandinho of Manchester City expected to replace him in the starting line-up.

More In This Category

Thomas Mueller says the Germans' shock early exit from the World Cup will provide "huge motivation" when he starts the new season.
Russian police have unexpectedly released Pussy Riot punk group members while they still face charges for invading the pitch at the World Cup football final.
Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic has pledged his continued loyalty to the Serie A outfit amid reported interest from Europe's elite clubs.
New Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui says Gareth Bale is happy at the club and will reject any transfer move to Manchester United.