Iran striker retires from team at 23 after online bullying

2018-06-28 17:12

Tehran - Online bullying has just cost Iran one of its top players.

Forward Sardar Azmoun said on Thursday that he is retiring from the national team.

The 23-year-old was the target of numerous attacks on social media after failing to score in any of Iran's three group matches at the Soccer World Cup in Russia.

He was sent obscene messages and mocked for his perceived lack of impact.

Azmoun said his mother had been recovering from a serious illness, but the insults caused it to flare up again.

Between football and his mother, he wrote on Instagram that "I chose my mother."

The Rubin Kazan striker had been built up as Iran's top goal-scoring threat before the tournament and has scored 23 goals in 36 international appearances.

Another forward, the 30-year-old Reza Ghoochannejhad, said that he is also leaving the national team.

He was an unused substitute in all three games.

"My mind, my personality and my pride do not allow me" to wear the Iranian national team shirt again, Ghoochannejhad said in his Instagram statement.

Ghoochannejhad didn't say whether he was reacting to the online abuse or to coach Carlos Queiroz's decision not to play him at the World Cup.

Iran missed out on qualifying for the knockout stages by one point.

However, the Iran beat Morocco 1-0 through an own goal before losing 1-0 to Spain and drawing 1-1 with Portugal.

More In This Category

France's victorious World Cup players will all be awarded the Legion of Honour, the office of President Emmanuel Macron has confirmed.
Here are ALL the best saves by goalkeepers during the 2018 Soccer World Cup in Russia.
Top SABC executives have reportedly been charged over the rehiring of sports anchor Robert Marawa in a deal worth R5.5 million.
Sport24 and DionWired are giving away eight R500 in-store gift cards during this year's Soccer World Cup.