Enzo Perez in for Argentina's injured Lanzini

2018-06-09 17:18
Manuel Lanzini (Getty Images)

Bronnitsy - River Plate midfielder Enzo Perez will replace the injured Manuel Lanzini in Argentina's 23-man Soccer World Cup squad, the country's football association said on Saturday.

The 32-year-old Perez was called up by Argentina coach Jorge Sampaoli after Lanzini ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during training on Friday.

West Ham midfielder Lanzini, 25, had been linked with a summer transfer to Liverpool, but he now faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

His injury is a blow for Sampaoli who had counted on Lanzini for a place in his starting line-up, with Lucas Biglia and Ever Banega also carrying minor knocks.

Former Valencia and Benfica midfielder Perez was part of the Argentina squad at the 2014 World Cup, starting in the final as his side lost to Germany 1-0 after extra time.

Argentina's national team are due to travel to Russia from Barcelona later on Saturday ahead of the start of the World Cup on June 14.

The two-time world champions have been drawn in Group D alongside Iceland, Croatia and Nigeria.

Read more on: argentina swc 2018 soccer

More In This Category

Thomas Mueller says the Germans' shock early exit from the World Cup will provide "huge motivation" when he starts the new season.
Russian police have unexpectedly released Pussy Riot punk group members while they still face charges for invading the pitch at the World Cup football final.
Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic has pledged his continued loyalty to the Serie A outfit amid reported interest from Europe's elite clubs.
New Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui says Gareth Bale is happy at the club and will reject any transfer move to Manchester United.