Brazil in cull of backroom staff

2014-07-16 08:14
Dr. Jose Luis Runco (Getty Images)
Dr. Jose Luis Runco (Getty Images) ~ Tasso Marcelo

Rio de Janeiro - Brazil continued a mass clearout of their Soccer World Cup backroom staff on Tuesday following the resignation of coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Team doctor Jose Luis Runco and head of communications Rodrigo Paiva became the latest casualties of a campaign that turned on its head with the 7-1 semi-final mauling at the hands of eventual champions Germany, the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) said.

Scolari and his assistants went on Monday.

Runco was a veteran of the 2002 campaign who had been in the post ever since, Globo reported.

Paiva was suspended during the tournament for striking Chilean player Mauricio Pinilla during their last 16 match, which Brazil narrowly won on penalties.

Only head of logistics Guilherme Ribeiro has survived the cull.

The CBF have called a news conference on Thursday amid speculation they may appoint former Corinthians coach Tite as Scolari's successor.

More In This Category

Fundamentalist group the Islamic State has issued an eerie new threat ahead of the World Cup in Russia.
What happens when a bank gets its computers to run 10 000 virtual tournaments to guesstimate who is going to bring home the World Cup?
French midfielder Paul Pogba says he and his France team-mates must approach the Soccer World Cup finals in June with the right mindset.
France soccer great Michel Platini says "a little trickery" in the 1998 World Cup draw ensured his home country would avoid Brazil until the final which it won in Paris.