London - Former England captain John Terry was prepared to end his international exile and make himself available again for selection for England, newspaper reports said Saturday.
The 32-year-old retired from international football when he was banned for four Premier League games after being charged with racially abusing Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand by the Football Association.
Having being cleared on the same charge by a magistrates court, Terry said his position had been made "untenable."
But the lure of a World Cup in Brazil has seemingly persuaded the Chelsea defender to seek a way back, the reports said without citing sources.
His return, however, could prove problematic. For one thing, it's impossible to imagine Terry and Rio Ferdinand, Anton's brother, being on the same squad.
Rio Ferdinand snubbed a chance of a return for England's past two World Cup qualifiers, saying they wouldn't fit with his medical programme. He then flew to Qatar to commentate on one of the games.
Terry also clearly has unresolved issues with the Football Association, refusing to shake the hand of chairman David Bernstein when the two met at the Champions League trophy handover last week.
Terry isn't even a regular starter for Chelsea any more, having made only nine Premier League starts this season.