News24

SAFA is not hiding: Chimhavi

2013-01-05 15:23

Johannesburg - The SA Football Association (SAFA) is not hiding from the public in the wake of a match-fixing scandal, according to the soccer body's spokesperson, Dominic Chimhavi.

Five SAFA officials - president Kirsten Nematandani, acting chief executive Dennis Mumble, Ace Kika, Barney Kujane and Adeel Carelse - were reinstated to their posts on Friday.

The federation's national executive committee (NEC), which met with sports minister Fikile Mbalula, reversed the decision to suspend the senior administrators after they were implicated in a FIFA probe into match-fixing.

"We want to allay the fears of the public," Chimhavi said on Saturday.

"We are not sweeping this issue under the carpet. The NEC is not commenting on the merit or demerit of the match-fixing report by FIFA.

"They are merely tending to the fairness and legality of processes which have to be undertaken to ensure fairness."

Chimhavi said the NEC had forwarded the issue to the SAFA legal committee.

"In the meantime, everyone mentioned in the report by FIFA should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

"The president has made it very clear that he wants this issue to be resolved as speedily as possible.

"We as SAFA do not want this issue to be hanging over our heads for a long time." The five officials had been placed on special leave in December after SAFA received a FIFA report on 2010 World Cup warm-up matches which were allegedly fixed.

SAFA said a commission of enquiry, headed by a retired judge, would be set up to investigate the matter.

The FIFA report was completed by the global body's former head of security, Chris Eaton, after a bogus football development company, Football 4U, provided referees for the World Cup warm-up matches.

The company was later discovered to be a front for an Asian-based betting syndicate headed up by Wilson Raj Perumal, who was convicted of match fixing.

SAPA

Comments
  • Edison Nyamayaro - 2013-01-05 15:42

    watching afcon on tv

  • deon.vantonder.77 - 2013-01-05 16:02

    Not hiding but looking for a legal way to get out of it I rather say. Come on Zuma, get your legal team

  • donovan.vorster.1 - 2013-01-05 16:02

    This only the tip of the iceberg.

  • ruben.maistry - 2013-01-05 16:02

    Bafana Bafana just lost a supporter. Our government leads by example so what do you expect. Reinstated? Nothing new, the corrupt do this ALL the time. Definitely no supporting the Afcon.

  • ruben.maistry - 2013-01-05 16:20

    This shows the rest of the world the calibre of people in South Africa who are in power. Had their not been an investigation outside of South Africa, we would have been none the wiser. FIFA should boot RSA out.

  • Kwanele Mzwanele Masoka - 2013-01-05 16:29

    How about they resign to protect their honour and intergrity if there is any still left.

  • gary.desousa.5 - 2013-01-05 16:58

    Got to let the legal process run and remember they must be paid, so back to work, hide the evedience and enjoy the soccer.

  • osmaseko - 2013-01-05 17:02

    What's new??????

  • brendan.k.shaw - 2013-01-05 17:19

    The sporting authorities in SA was quick to react with the Hansie Cronje saga. Hansie Cronje gets banned for life. But it seems as if soccer it is fine. Another example of corruption being treated with kid gloves. And I wonder if the same situation appeared in anyt other sport, eg. Rugby and Cricket, would the sports minister have been so lax? Different rules for different sports

      tshepo.motsitsi.9 - 2013-01-05 18:16

      Brendan your insuation is obvious. Please keep in mind that FIFA rules preclude government involvement in soccer matters, so the minister really has no say in SAFA issues. The Hansie Cronje issue was a CSA matter where CSA asked the government to step in

  • rudzanimulaudzi.mulaudzi - 2013-01-05 17:25

    It will be a disaster if they loose the case at the end unless if the want to hide some evidence.

  • peasant.mcpoor - 2013-01-05 17:31

    Dick-tators don't have 2 hide-u rule, we abide:(

  • lenox.ntlantsana - 2013-01-05 17:35

    Another Mind Game report. A delay technique by the Sport Minister because he does not have powers to fire (the President) only can give a go ahead!

  • sicelo.brukwe.9 - 2013-01-05 18:03

    Halom uit ons soek vir Chimvhavi!!

  • Fayyaaz Karjieker - 2013-01-05 18:14

    jst goes to show the corruption in dis country! they quick to ban Hansie Cronje, but in SA Soccer its fine!

  • Andrew McMurray - 2013-01-05 18:36

    Sniff, sniff, sniff.............i get the faint smell of Bull$£it........

  • more.pido - 2013-01-05 19:44

    dz bunch of idiot' mst go nw

  • robert.p.gemmell - 2013-01-05 20:05

    AS i tell many of my friends why I don't support any soccer team in SA or the Bafana loosers just read the articles on match fixing and many others we don't know about. These guys need to be giving the book and suspended for life and never ever be allowed near a football pitch.

  • phillip.crossley - 2013-01-06 08:31

    I hope that they suspend us from international soccer if they are guilty. We need to learn a lesson about corruption.

  • pages:
  • 1