News24

SABC stalls on announcement

2012-12-04 10:08

Johannesburg - The announcement of the broadcast rights agreement for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) was postponed for the third time in less than a week on Tuesday.

Sipho Sithole, the chief communications officer for the local organising committee, said the announcement of a deal with the SABC had been delayed indefinitely.

"There is nothing wrong with the agreement. The announcement will still be made but it has been delayed," he said.

Sithole said the SABC had been unavailable to reschedule this week after the announcement was postponed for the third time.

"I am hoping to get direction from our CEO on Tuesday."

When it was delayed for the second time, the AFCON LOC said the announcement clashed with "short notice" press conferences organised by Premier Soccer League clubs, but no reasons were given on the other two occasions.

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago could not confirm when the announcement would be made.

"The AFCON LOC requested the postponement, not us," Kganyago said.

"They would best be suited to explain why it has been delayed."

SAPA