Johannesburg - Orlando Pirates chairperson Irvin Khoza has
expressed disappointment after SABC crew was prevented from broadcasting their CAF
Champions League game against TP Mazembe in the Democratic Republic of Congo on
Two SABC staff members have been released,
after being briefly detained in the country earlier in the day. An SABC radio
reporter had his cellphone and SIM card confiscated.
Khoza, who is also a member of the CAF
inter-club committee, said he will raise the issue at a CAF meeting in two
weeks' time. Pirates are already on their way back to Johannesburg.
VIDEO: TP Mazembe v Orlando Pirates - highlights
They lost 1-0 TP Mazembe, but squeezed into
the last eight of the CAF Champions League 3-2 on aggregate.
The arrests came after the SABC crew was
prevented from broadcasting the game. With minutes to go before kick-off, the
crew was chased out of the stadium. The two technical crews who were arrested have now been escorted back to
their hotel. They are hoping to return home on Monday.
The SABC described the incident as
saddening. SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said that in terms of the match
not having been broadcast, the SABC will discuss the incident with the relevant
The SABC broadcast the first leg of the
tie from Orlando Stadium two weeks ago, and there was reportedly an agreement
that they would be able to do the same from the second round match in
Lubumbashi on Sunday.
The Department of International Relations
and Co-operation spokesperson Clayson Monyela said they have been in contact
with the consul general in Lubumbashi to deal with the matter and to assist the