While Premier Soccer League (PSL) acting chief executive Mato Madlala says clubs will continue receiving grants to pay players, the South
African Football Players Union (SAFPU) president Thulaganyo Gaoshubelwe believes
that cuts may be necessary.
On Monday, Madlala said: "Clubs will
continue receiving their grants from the PSL. Even if the season runs until
June it will not be a problem because clubs receive the grant every month
throughout the year."
But on Tuesday, after a host of teams around the world announced a
cut in player salaries to help clubs stay afloat, Gaoshubelwe says that is something
that might happen in South Africa.
The SAFPU boss explained: "We might have to enter into
this discussion and is getting ready for it.
"We have flagged it. But we are not at that point. If
it gets to that point, we will sit down and negotiate on the facts that are
He added: "We made our points on occupational hazard,
health and safety in that discussion and we were pleased they were taken up.
"We cannot pre-empt now what is going to happen, but we
have been watching what has been going on overseas."
All football activities have been halted following the
country's 21-day lockdown that took effect last week, as announced by President
The South African Football Association had initially taken
the steps to ban of all football matches and related activities until 4 April
2020 with that now extended to 16 April 2020.
Following the lockdown, talks will continue as to when the football
can resume in the country as the PSL hopes to complete all leagues by the end
- TEAMtalk media