The funeral of Mable Khumalo, mother of former Bafana Bafana and Kaizer Chiefs midfielder Doctor Khumalo, will be held in the coming days.
Sport24 reported on Wednesday that Mable Khumalo died at the Netcare Union Hospital in Gauteng.
Amakhosi chairperson Kaizer Motaung and Premier Soccer League (PSL) boss Irvin Khoza led the tributes as the soccer fraternity mourned the tragic news.
South Africa is currently in the midst of a 21-day lockdown due to the coronavirus in hopes of curbing the spread of the pandemic.
Under the various lockdown rules implemented, government has clearly laid out laws related to attendance at funerals, limiting such occasions to no more than 50 mourners.
In short, the new regulations state:
- No more than 50 mourners - including minister, family, mourners and undertakers
- No night vigils
- All churches are closed and may only be used to conduct a funeral service
- Normal requirements are still applicable to hold a funeral, as well as additional requirement in light of the lockdown
- Applicable forms to be completed in order for the funeral to take place
No date has yet been set for the funeral, but the Khumalo family’s spokesperson Telavukosi Mabasa has urged the community to respect the current rules set by government.
"While we value and appreciate your support at this time, the family would like to appeal to our neighbours and community at large to assist us in keeping within the stipulated rules," Mabasa said as quoted by SowetanLIVE.
"Therefore, only a limited number of the Khumalo family have been requested to attend the funeral."
- Compiled by Sport24 staff