Wits hold Arrows to a draw

2012-05-02 21:58

Kwamashu - Substitute Nyiko Tshabangu scored 11 minutes from time to help BidVest Wits secure a share of the spoils after a 1-1 draw against Golden Arrows in the their Premiership encounter at the Princess Magogo Stadium in KwaMashu on Wednesday.

The Students had their coach Roger de Sa sent off during a feisty first half, before Nkanyiso Mlotshwa opened the scoring early in the second period with a splendid long-range strike.

Both teams found chances difficult to come by as the game wore on, before Tshabangu scored after a fumble by the Abafana Bes’thende goalkeeper Nkosi Gumede three minutes after coming on.

The point edged the struggling visitors further away from the relegation zone as they moved to 29 to stay in 13th place, while Arrows are a place above them on 32 points.

The game started slowly with the small home crowd having to wait almost 10 minutes for the first opening, which came when Thamsanqa Mkhize’s cross from the right almost dipped in under the crossbar, with Emille Baron forced to tip over.

Arrows continued to have most of the ball, but clear-cut chances were difficult to come by with Clifford Ngobeni dragging wide midway through the half.

De Sa was then banished to the stands by referee Charl Theron for what appeared to be his over-zealous protesting -- the Wits boss clearly furious as he headed back towards the tunnel.

Masibusane Zongo then curled a 20-yard free-kick agonisingly wide of the right-hand upright 14 minutes before half-time, the scored locked at 0-0.

Less than two minutes into the second period, the hosts took the lead thanks to Mlotshwa, who cut inside his man on the right, ghosted past another man and unleashed a cracking right-footed effort that took the underside of the crossbar on its way in.

Wits almost hit straight back when Bongolethu Jayiya was played in on the right side of the box, but blazed over from 10 yards out.

Substitute Bradley Ritson also fired over from outside the box not long after, although his effort was just centimetres wide.

At the other end, Mzivukile Tom was surprised by a Dillon Sheppard free-kick that came to him at the back post and poked wide, before Ngobeni’s snap-shot also failed to test Baron.

Jayiya again failed to hit the target in the 72nd minute, but redeemed himself by playing his part in the equaliser close to the end.

The young forward was given room to shoot on the edge of the box, with his shot only parried by Nkosi Gumede into the path of Tshabangu, who tapped in.

That proved the final chance as the teams had to settle for a share of the spoils.