Ramagalela brace downs Tuks

2012-11-24 17:47

Johannesburg - A Rodney Ramagalela brace saw Black Leopards beat the University of Pretoria 2-1 in an Absa Premiership match at the Tuks Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
The first 45 minutes was a half where Leopards struggled to get hold of the ball and were largely outplayed by the University side.
Nonetheless, despite being the poorer of the two teams the away side went into the half time break a goal to the good, largely due to the poor quality of finishing form Tuks.
It was not the most spectacular display of football as neither side passed the ball around comfortably on the water-drenched pitch, but still the home side were able to create the majority of chances.
Tuks created their first scoring opportunity on the sixth minute through Bongani Zungu who worked himself into a good shooting position just outside the box, but he saw his effort go wide.
Two minutes later and Dumisani Ngwenya should really have given the University team the lead when a long throw-in was flicked into the box to find the Tuks man, but his snap-shot from eight-yards out was wastefully fired over the crossbar.
Zungu was proving to be a threat and he had another shot on goal in the 11th minute, but the Leopards keeper, Azwindini Maphaha, was up to the challenge, making a fine save to deny him from just inside the box.
Tuks continued to press forward, but their finishing lacked the quality of their build-up play and they were punished for their wastefulness in front of goal when Leopards took the lead in the 32nd minute.
A poor clearance by the Tuks defence saw the ball headed back into the box where it found an unmarked Rodney Ramagalela who made no mistake with a clinical finish from 12-yards out, passing the ball into the bottom left hand corner, 1-0.
The rest of the half continued to be dominated by the University side, but they were unable to find the equaliser and entered the break one goal down.
The second 45 saw Leopards with the first effort on goal in the 55th minute, Mongezi Bobe latching onto a cross, but his header went inches wide of the target.
But that was about Leopards best effort of the half as things returned to normality and Tuks began dictating terms yet again.
Mame Niang should really have equalised for Tuks in the 68th minute when he was on the end of a cross, but his close range header also went wide of the target.
Finally, in the 80th minute, the home side made their pressure pay as second half substitute David Radebe rifled in a long range effort that found the back of the net, 1-1.
Then just as it looked like the sides would share the spoils a spanner was thrown into the works when the referee awarded a penalty for Leopards deep into added time.
Ramagalela, though, did not seem to feel the pressure as he stepped up and calmly slotted the ball home to hand the away team the win, 2-1.