Leopards, United draw thriller

2012-10-07 17:51

Johannesburg - In a six-goal thriller Black Leopards drew 3-3 with SuperSport United in their PSL match at the Peter Mokaba Stadium in Polokwane on Sunday.

Sameehg Doutie scored the equalising goal in added time to see his side claim a point from a match they had trailed for much of the second half.

Reeling at 2-0 down after 19 minutes, Leopards launched a steady assault on the visiting SuperSport team, first pulling a goal back before the break and then stunning the Pretoria side with a two-goal burst after half-time with Tiyane Mabunda scoring what they thought would be the winner.

After Leopards scored their third at 3-2 up, they sat on their lead and allowed Gavin Hunt's SuperSport side back into the game.

Leopards came into the game off a five-match winless streak, while SuperSport were unbeaten in the league.

With the draw, both teams move to eight points from seven matches.

In the first period neither team dominated throughout, but instead in short spells.

SuperSport were the first to gain a grip on the game with their two-goal assault in four minutes.

Prior to the opening goal, in the 13th minute, Clifford Mulenga went on a strong run infield from the left touchline. He rounded three Leopards defenders before reeling off a shot that was well-saved by Posnet Omony in goal.

Two minutes later, Mulenga redeemed himself with a perfectly timed run into the box, and on this occasion his first time strike found the corner of the net to make the score 1-0 to SuperSport.

Mulenga then turned from scorer to provider in the 19th minute. His run into the box drew Omony out of his goal, and Mulenga off-loaded the ball for Mabhudi Khenyeza who made no mistake as he fired home SuperSport's second.

The hosts took seven minutes to reply with a goal coming from Rodney Ramagalela. First Raymond Monama beat Ronwen Williams in the SuperSport goal but struck the post, and Ramagalela buried the chance in-front of an open net to make the score 2-1.

Before the break, Leopards went in search of an equaliser but were not rewarded for their efforts. After the break, Leopards pressed for a second but Williams pulled off some reactions saves to keep his side ahead.

The pressure finally resulted in a goal in the 50th minute for Leopards, as Williams this time had no chance. Abbas Amidu from a good position in the middle of the box, connected with a cross which rocketed into the back of the net to level the scores.

Leopards managed their second goal in five minutes in the 55th minute. Mabunda scored with a brilliant headed goal from a corner as the home side went ahead in the encounter for the first time with the score 3-2 to Leopards.

After Leopards took the lead SuperSport began applying the pressure and created numerous chances.

An injury time goal from Doutie after a period of sustained pressure from SuperSport saw the visitors claim a share of the spoils to end the game in a 3-3 draw.