Johannesburg - Mamelodi Sundowns came out with guns blazing on Monday as they hammered a section of supporters who called for the sacking of coach Pitso Mosimane following the 1-1 draw against Maritzburg United in their opening match of the season.
According to the supersport.com website, a section of supporters voiced their displeasure as they called for the removal of Mosimane following the draw at Loftus. That was only the second match of the season following their exit in the MTN8 competition.
But the reaction was rather startling as league season had only gotten underway. What was not surprising was the swift reaction from Sundowns, who stated that “take disciplinary action against those supporters including banning them from attending Sundowns.”
Mamelodi Sundowns said in a statement:
- (1) The Club is embarassed by the behavior of a minority of supporters
- (2) This sort of behavior brings the club into disrepute
- (3) This has a negative and destabilising effect on our players
- (4) The Club has undertaken a process of identifying those individuals who are guilty of misbehavior which also infringes Club Rules and Constitution
- (5) The Club will take disciplinary action against those supporters including banning them from attending Sundowns.