10-man Ajax fall again

2012-04-21 22:42

Johannesburg - SuperSport United sunk the 10-man Ajax Cape Town thanks to Atusaye Nyondo, who grabbed a late winner at the Peter Mokoba Stadium in an Absa Premiership game.
The two teams walked out to a near deserted stadium as Paul Rusike tried to capitalise on a ball he picked up from Mogogi Gabonamong, but his shot went just wide of Rowen Fernandez’s goal.
Maarten Stekelenburg was forced into making an early substitution as Lebogang Manyama was taken off in place of Khama Billiat due to injury.
Atusaye Nyondo replaced John Arwuah on the field due to injury a minute before the half hour mark, before the hosts then saw their penalty appeals wrongly waved away for a handball in the box by Nazier Allie in the 35th minute.
Meanwhile, on the 38 minute mark, it was the substitute Billiat who broke the deadlock. The youngster had a good first touch from a cross and fired in a long angled shot inside the far post.
From hero to zero the Zimbabwean soon went, as he was shown a red card for a retaliation tackle, which nearly hit Morgan Gould in the eye, in the 44th minute.
The restart saw no changes made by either team before Fernandez pulled off an excellent save, four minutes in, off a Terror Fanteni volley from close range; with the resulting save seeing the striker’s second shot go over the goal.
Straight after each other in the 56th minute, Gould was added to the referee’s book, while Jabu Maluleke replaced Gabonamong.
Two minutes after the hour mark the Urban Warriors made their change as Cole Alexander came on for Brent Carelse, as the Cape side looked to make the most of their 1-0 advantage.
Gavin Hunt’s intentions became clear when the striker Mame Niang replaced the defender Tebogo Langerman on the 65, while Nhanhla Vilakazi was booked and is set to miss Ajax’s next game.
The 73rd minute saw Ajax go defensive as Cecil Lolo replaced Rusike but the substitution made no difference as SuperSport drew level three minutes later. Ahsley Hartog fired in a half-volley from distance, but the deflected ball dipped in front of Westerveld, bounced off the ground and over the Dutchman.
After much dominance SuperSport managed to grab the lead in the 83rd minute through Nyondo. Sloppy defending saw the substitute strike it down the centre as the goalkeeper and defence looked in total disarray.