International

Portugal extend Santos deal to 2020

2016-07-20 09:19
Cristiano Ronaldo and Fernando Santos (Getty Images)

Lisbon - Coach Fernando Santos has extended his contract with Portugal until 2020 after leading them to a shock Euro 2016 title, Portuguese football bosses said on Tuesday.

The 61-year-old, who has been in charge since September 2014 and masterminded a huge reversal in fortunes, guided Portugal to their first major international tournament win despite having to do without Cristiano Ronaldo for most of the final against hosts France earlier this month.

His new deal takes him through the 2018 World Cup in Russia and to the next European Championship.

"The new contract between the FPF and Fernando Santos will be in force until the Euro 2020," the Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) said in a brief statement.

Santos built his career with top clubs in Portugal - Benfica, Sporting Lisbon and Porto - and in Greece, as well as coaching the Greek national side.

Read more on:    portugal  |  fernando santos  |  soccer
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

Do you think SAFA made the right choice in appointing Stuart Baxter as head coach of Bafana Bafana?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.