International

Perez: Madrid not at fault for fielding ineligible player

2015-12-03 22:25
Florentino Perez (AFP)

Madrid - Real Madrid president Florentino Perez said Thursday that his club "is not at fault" and shouldn't be disqualified from the Copa del Rey for fielding an ineligible player.

Perez spoke publicly to defend his club hours after Cadiz filed an objection to Madrid fielding Denis Cheryshev, who carried over a one-game suspension from last season for accumulation of yellow cards while playing on loan for Villarreal.

The Spanish federation's competition committee is expected to give its ruling on Friday.

On Wednesday, Cheryshev scored Madrid's first goal of the 3-1 victory at Cadiz before coach Rafa Benitez substituted him early in the second half.

Perez gave two arguments to say the sanction should not be applied.

Perez first said that the sanction was "not applicable" because Cheryshev had "not been personally notified" that he was suspended.

"Nobody told the club or the player, not the federation nor Villarreal, so it was impossible for us to act differently," Perez said. "It's not our fault."

Furthermore, Perez argued that according to the club's interpretation of the competition by-laws, previous bookings are voided at the start of the round of 32.

Another, conflicting interpretation reported by Spanish media of this by-law says it is intended to only be applied to lower-division teams that play previous rounds before the topflight teams are included in the round of 32.

This was the second time in two weeks Perez has spoken to the media in response to a club crisis. With Benitez facing heavy criticism following a 4-0 loss to Barcelona, Perez publicly defended his first-year coach.

All told, Perez faces another potentially embarrassing bureaucratic bungle after a late fax ruined the club's attempt to secure the transfer of Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea at the close of the summer transfer market.

Madrid fans' frustration boiled over two weeks ago when Madrid lost to fierce rival Barcelona at home, with many calling for Benitez and Perez to step down.

Madrid plays its first game at the Santiago Bernabeu since then against Getafe on Saturday.

In September, the federation disqualified Osasuna from the Copa del Rey for fielding an ineligible player who carried over a suspension from the previous season.

In 2001-02, a Valencia side coached by Benitez was disqualified from the Copa del Rey for fielding four players without European passports at the same time.

Read more on:    real madrid  |  florentino perez  |  soccer

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live scoring

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2018/19 Absa Premiership season is in full swing. Will Mamelodi Sundowns retain their title? Or can one of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits, SuperSport United - or another team perhaps - snatch glory from the Brazilians? Be sure to visit Sport24 for all the latest news!

Latest blogs
Vote

After Stuart Baxter stepped down as Bafana Bafana head coach, who would you like to see take over?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.