Zurich - Acting FIFA president Issa Hayatou has undergone a "successful"
kidney transplant, but the veteran administrator will continue in his
post, the world football governing body announced on Friday.
Hayatou has never hidden the fact that, for several years now, he has
been suffering from a renal insufficiency, a situation that has not,
however, prevented him from fully performing his duties at the heart of
world and African football's governing bodies, without interruption,"
said a FIFA statement.
"He will continue to fulfil his role as acting FIFA president as intended."
69-year-old Cameroonian, who is also boss of the African confederation,
has been running FIFA since Sepp Blatter was suspended for 90 days last
Ironically Blatter too has been undergoing medical treatment for stress.
79-year-old had been in hospital for several days with a condition that
was not considered serious, his spokesman said, and he was discharged
late on Wednesday.
Blatter has been at the centre of the worst
scandal to ever hit world football, which kicked off in May when 14
ex-FIFA officials and sports marketing executives were charged by the US
justice department over decades of graft and bribery.
Blatter was elected to a fifth term as FIFA's president days later, but he has since been engulfed by the scandal.
September, Swiss prosecutors opened a criminal case against him over
mismanagement and a suspicious $2 million payment made in 2011 to
European football chief Michel Platini.
Before he was suspended,
Blatter, who has been in charge of FIFA since 1998, said he would step
down on February 26, next year, when a FIFA congress elects a new
Meanwhile, FIFA's ethics committee said they have fined
Spanish football chief Angel Maria Villar Llona and suspended two
African officials for six months.
Villar Llona, who is also a
vice-president of both FIFA and European governing body UEFA, was given a
$25 000 fine and warned for his failure to
co-operate with investigations into the bidding process for the 2018
World Cup which was awarded to Russia.
He is currently the highest ranked official at UEFA while Platini serves a 90-day ban.
65-year-old former international midfielder said he was relieved by the
decision but would continue to fight in a bid clarify the matter.
the one hand, I am very happy with the part of this judgement that
finally clears my name after so many insinuations and continuous leaks
about my lack of collaboration with the investigation," he said.
the other hand, at no moment have I lacked decorum nor have I failed to
comply with any other order of the FIFA Ethics Committee during this
"I regret that an expression I used has been understood
in a different way by some members of the FIFA Ethics Committee. For
that reason, I will evaluate if I will exercise legal action that could
help me against the fine imposed or not."
Association vice-president Jean Guy Blaise Mayolas and secretary general
Badji Mombo Wantete were both banned for six months for breaking FIFA
rules in relation to "offering and accepting gifts and other benefits".
They were already serving provisional bans which means the remaining time of their punishment is only 45 days.
Trinidad and Tobago player David Nakhid on Friday lodged an appeal with
the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) contesting FIFA's decision to
disqualify him as a presidential candidate.
candidacy was invalidated because he only received four valid
nominations out of FIFA's 209 member national associations and
presidential candidates required five.
It is understood one national association nominated both Nakhid and another candidate.
have declared five candidates eligible to run - Prince Ali bin Al
Hussein, Sheikh Salman Bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa, Jerome Champagne, Gianni
Infantino and Tokyo Sexwale.
The candidacy of Platini will be considered once his suspension is over.