International

Juventus shares lose 5% amid Ronaldo accusations

2018-10-05 13:08
Cristiano Ronaldo (Twitter)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Twitter)

Rome - Shares in Italian champions Juventus fell by 5% on Friday after an investigation was re-opened this week into rape allegations against star player Cristiano Ronaldo.

ALSO READ: Nike 'deeply concerned' by Ronaldo rape allegations

The shares were €1.25, down 5.37%, after trading opened in Milan.

Juventus reaction criticised

Ronaldo's move from Real Madrid to Juventus in the summer gave the Italian champions a huge boost, both on and off the field, as they continue their elusive bid for a first Champions League title since 1996.

On September 20, shares rose 180% to a record level of over €1.80.

Juventus have so far stood behind Ronaldo, but the Italian club's reaction to the issue has angered some fans.

The Portuguese striker "has shown in recent months his great professionalism and dedication, which is appreciated by everyone at Juventus", the club wrote on Twitter Thursday, breaking their silence over the allegations.

"The events allegedly dating back to almost 10 years ago do not change this opinion, which is shared by anyone who has come into contact with this great champion."

Juventus later posted a video on YouTube and Twitter showing Ronaldo training, with the caption: "Juventus go for goal. Cristiano Ronaldo finds the target!"

The defending Serie A champions' tweets were widely panned on social media as "shockingly dismissive and insensitive".

"You'd expect a more nuanced and sensitive approach from such a mega organisation," said one tweet.

In his pre-match press conference Friday, Allegri said Ronaldo seemed "calm".

"I see Ronaldo calm, he is ready to play. His professionalism and his composure on and off the pitch are not in question," the Juventus coach said.

Ronaldo has vehemently denied the rape accusations.

"I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me," he tweeted in English on Wednesday.

"Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.

"My clear conscious (sic) will thereby allow me to await with tranquility the results of any and all investigations," he added on his Twitter feed, which has 75 million followers.

Portugal said Thursday Ronaldo will play no part in the country's next four internationals, but national coach Fernando Santos gave him his backing.

Asked about the allegations, Santos said. "I know Cristiano Ronaldo very well and I fully believe his word when he says he would never commit a crime like this."

Mayorga's attorney Leslie Stovall told reporters his client had suffered years of trauma as a result of the alleged attack and found the courage to speak out thanks to the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment and assault at the hands of powerful men.

Mayorga claims she was pressured into signing a non-disclosure agreement in 2010 to keep the alleged rape secret and is seeking at least $200,000 in penalties and damages.

Read more on:    juventus  |  serie a  |  cristiano ronaldo  |  soccer
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2018/19 Absa Premiership season is in full swing. Will Mamelodi Sundowns retain their title? Or can one of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits, SuperSport United - or another team perhaps - snatch glory from the Brazilians? Be sure to visit Sport24 for all the latest news!

Latest blogs
Vote

After slow starts to their respective 2018/19 Absa Premiership campaigns, who will finish the season ranked higher?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.