International

Former FIFA official pleads guilty

2016-04-11 18:30
Alfredo Hawit (Supplied)

New York - A former vice president of soccer's international governing body has pleaded guilty to four conspiracy counts in the sweeping FIFA bribery scandal over lucrative broadcast rights.

Prosecutors in New York said the Honduran-born Alfredo Hawit accepted bribes totalling hundreds of thousands of dollars linked to the sale of marketing rights to tournaments in Latin America.

Monday's plea is part of a case involving more than 40 people from around the world. Prosecutors have said soccer officials have taken hundreds of millions of dollars in illegal payments over the last 25 years.

Hawit also served as interim president of the North and Central American and Caribbean soccer governing body, CONCACAF, from June until his Dec. 3 arrest.

Hawit was extradited from Switzerland earlier this year.

Read more on:    fifa  |  fifa bribery scandal  |  alfredo hawit  |  soccer
NEXT ON SPORT24X

Brazil legend Pele collapses

2018-01-19 14:10

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

Do you think SAFA made the right choice in appointing Stuart Baxter as head coach of Bafana Bafana?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.