International

FIFA vice president pleads not guilty

2015-12-16 08:47
Sepp Blatter and Juan Angel Napout (Getty Images)

New York - Two soccer bosses including a former president of Honduras pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to US charges they took bribes in exchange for media and marketing contracts in a scandal that has rocked the business of global soccer.

Rafael Callejas, who was president of Honduras from 1990 to 1994 and later became president of its soccer federation, flashed a thumbs-up to someone in the audience as he left a hearing in federal court in Brooklyn, New York.

Juan Angel Napout, a Paraguayan and former president of the South American confederation CONMEBOL, pleaded not guilty at a separate hearing.

The two came to the United States voluntarily after their indictment on bribery charges was unsealed on December 3.

They are among 41 people and entities charged in a US corruption sweep that has sent soccer's world governing body FIFA into an unprecedented crisis.

The 72-year-old Callejas, who has served on a FIFA committee, did not immediately seek release on bail. He has said he bore no responsibility for the accusations and was ready to defend himself.

Callejas is charged with taking bribes from Media World, an affiliate of Spain's Imagina Group, so that the company could obtain media and marketing rights for qualifier matches ahead of the 2014, 2018 and 2022 World Cup tournaments.

Imagina has said it would cooperate fully with US authorities. It suspended the chief executive of Media World and another employee.

A magistrate judge approved a $20 million bond package that cleared the way for Napout's release to home detention with 24-hour security and video surveillance.

Napout, 57, quit CONMEBOL last week and was suspended from his position as a FIFA vice president.

Napout is charged with soliciting bribe payments from two sports marketing firms to secure his support for awarding commercial rights to soccer tournaments including the popular Copa Libertadores.

In parallel investigations, Swiss and US authorities are focusing on whether business contracts and the World Cup hosting rights for 2018 in Russia and 2022 in Qatar were won with the help of bribery.

The schemes described in the December 3 indictment involved over $200 million in bribes and kickbacks sought for marketing and broadcast rights to tournaments and matches.

Of the 41 defendants, 14 have pleaded guilty. At least four others including Callejas and Napout are in the United States. The rest are in various stages of extradition proceedings.

Read more on:    fifa  |  soccer

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2019/20 Absa Premiership season is in full swing. Will Mamelodi Sundowns retain their title? Or can one of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits, SuperSport United - or another team perhaps - snatch glory from the Brazilians? Be sure to visit Sport24 for all the latest news!

Latest blogs
Vote

After Stuart Baxter stepped down as Bafana Bafana head coach, who would you like to see take over?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.