International

Barca end January striker chase - club director

2020-01-31 06:27
Guillermo Amor
Guillermo Amor (Getty Images)

Madrid - Barcelona will not sign a new striker before the end of the January transfer window, club director Guillermo Amor confirmed.

Barca had been looking to bolster their attacking options after Luis Suarez underwent surgery on his right knee, which is expected to rule him out for the rest of the season.

"The transfer window ends tomorrow (Friday) at midnight and it was decided not to make any signings in this winter transfer window because if it doesn't improve what we already have, it's better not to do it," Amor told Barca TV before the team's 5-0 win over Leganes in the Copa del Rey. 

Negotiations with Valencia over Rodrigo Moreno broke down earlier this week while Arsenal's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Lautaro Martinez of Inter Milan have also been linked.

New coach Quique Setien said on Wednesday it would be "interesting" if the club brought in another forward but insisted he was happy to work with the players he has.

Read more on:    barcelona  |  transfer window  |  la liga  |  soccer

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2019/20 Absa Premiership season is in full swing. Will Mamelodi Sundowns retain their title? Or can one of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits, SuperSport United - or another team perhaps - snatch glory from the Brazilians? Be sure to visit Sport24 for all the latest news!

Latest blogs
Vote

After Stuart Baxter stepped down as Bafana Bafana head coach, who would you like to see take over?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.