International

Swiss court won't lift FIFA official's ban

2015-10-20 19:03
(File, AP)

Zurich - FIFA said on Tuesday that a Zurich District Court rejected a request from the world soccer body's former vice president to temporarily lift a six-year ban on him.

Chung Mong-Joon had sought to have his ban temporarily lifted so he could campaign to be the organization's president in a vote in February, FIFA said in a statement.

Zurich-based FIFA said the court ruled that there was no indication of a defective procedure on the part of the soccer body's ethics committee in banning the South Korean.

Earlier this month, Chung had described the ban as a "shameful attempt" to punish his open criticism of FIFA, which is mired in the worst corruption scandal in its 111-year history.

FIFA said it was pleased with the court's decision. Chung can still appeal.

Read more on:    fifa  |  chung mong-joon  |  soccer

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2018/19 Absa Premiership season is in full swing. Will Mamelodi Sundowns retain their title? Or can one of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits, SuperSport United - or another team perhaps - snatch glory from the Brazilians? Be sure to visit Sport24 for all the latest news!

Latest blogs
Vote

After Stuart Baxter stepped down as Bafana Bafana head coach, who would you like to see take over?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.