Gunners, Toffees shocked

2014-09-23 23:06
Southampton (AFP)

London - Arsenal and Everton both suffered third-round exits from the Capital One Cup on Tuesday, while Liverpool survived an epic penalty shootout to take their place in the fourth round.

Arsenal were beaten 2-1 at home by Southampton, while Everton were outgunned 3-0 at Swansea.

Alexis Sanchez put Arsenal ahead with a brilliant free kick on 14 minutes at the Emirates but a penalty from Dusan Tadic and a goal by Nathaniel Clyne won it for Ronald Koeman's Southampton side.

"It's disappointing because we had a good start, but we made big errors when we had the ball," Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said. "We gave a lot but it's frustrating.

"I cannot fault the attitude. The reason we lost is because of our opponent's performance. It is not the players' fault."

Everton were humbled at Swansea thanks to goals from Nathan Dyer, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Marvin Emnes.

"The scoreline reflects the team that took the chances," said Everton manager Roberto Martinez, who made a number of changes to his usual first-choice side.

"During long spells we stopped Swansea from playing. It was an important game for us - for players who haven't played many minutes and to see where they are.

"If you analyse the chances Swansea had, they were few and far between. We had two or three very good situations. In many aspects, I was fairly pleased with that."

Swansea manager Garry Monk described his team's display as: "very professional."

"We played a very good team in Everton. We started well and created quite a few good chances. We took the goals very well. Everyone knows how we've done in the cup in recent history. It's an important competition to the fans."

Liverpool squeezed into the hat for the fourth round after winning a penalty shootout 14-13 against Middlesbrough, having drawn 2-2 after extra time.

A mistake by Raheem Sterling gave Middlesbrough a second equalizer with almost the last kick of the game.

Sterling missed his spot-kick that would have won it for Liverpool and the two sides had to go round a second time, with each goalkeeper taking and scoring a penalty themselves.

But Liverpool won it 14-13 when Albert Admoah sent his second penalty well wide.

Last year's finalists, Sunderland, were also sent packing from the competition, beaten 2-1 at home by fellow Premier League side Stoke City, with Marc Muniesa scoring both goals.

Among the night's other ties, Fulham were among the sides to go through as they beat Doncaster, while Shrewsbury of League Two won 1-0 at Norwich.


What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Do you think SAFA made the right choice in appointing Stuart Baxter as head coach of Bafana Bafana?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.