International

Nakhid to appeal FIFA rejection

2015-10-28 15:48
FIFA logo
FIFA logo

Paris - Former Trinidad and Tobago footballer David Nakhid is to appeal FIFA's decision to reject his candidacy for the presidency of the organisation, saying it was all part of a "dirty tricks campaign."

Nakhid submitted his candidacy as a rank outsider last week saying that he had the requisite backing of five of FIFA's 209 member national associations.

A FIFA source, however, told AFP that his dossier had been rejected as one of the associations had already endorsed another candidate, which was not allowed.

FIFA announced on Wednesday that seven candidates had been officially validated for the election which is scheduled to take place on February 26.

The deadline for candidates to submit their bids fell at midnight on Monday in Zurich where FIFA is based.

"Whatever happened is bad for FIFA. But we have appealed. All these are dirty tricks," Nakhid told AFP.

"The double nomination has been submitted in the last hours before the deadline and we were never informed about it. The double nomination was from the US Virgin Islands.

Read more on:    fifa  |  fifa presidency  |  david nakhid  |  soccer

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2018/19 Absa Premiership season is in full swing. Will Mamelodi Sundowns retain their title? Or can one of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits, SuperSport United - or another team perhaps - snatch glory from the Brazilians? Be sure to visit Sport24 for all the latest news!

Latest blogs
Vote

After Stuart Baxter stepped down as Bafana Bafana head coach, who would you like to see take over?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.