International

FIFA to see corruption report

2014-11-20 22:00
Michael Garcia (AFP)

Zurich - Details of the investigation into allegations of widespread corruption in the bidding processes for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups could be made available to FIFA, the governing body has said on Thursday.

Following a meeting between former US federal prosecutor Michael Garcia, who led the 18-month probe into the controversial campaigns of Russia and Qatar, and German judge Hans-Joachim Eckert, it was agreed further steps were possible to throw light on the affair.

"The chairman of the adjudicatory chamber (Eckert) and the chairman of the investigatory chamber of the FIFA Ethics Committee (Garcia) met today to discuss the recent developments," said a FIFA statement.

"Both chairmen agreed that it is of major importance that the FIFA Executive Committee has the information necessary to evaluate which steps are required based on the work done by the FIFA Ethics Committee.

"In order to achieve this, the chairman of the FIFA Audit and Compliance Committee will receive full copies of all reports of the investigatory chamber...to determine how much of that information should be made available to the FIFA Executive Committee.

"He then shall take the steps necessary to do so. The chairmen also offered to answer any questions the chairman of the Audit and Compliance Committee and the Executive Committee might have."

FIFA cleared Russia and Qatar, the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosts respectively, of corruption and ruled out a re-vote for the tournaments despite widespread allegations of wrongdoing.

But within hours of FIFA's ethics committee publishing a summary of Garcia's report last week, the corruption probe was thrown into turmoil when Garcia said he intended to appeal against the findings.

He claimed the summary contained "numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions" detailed in his investigation.

Garcia's 350-page report summed up an investigation that involved interviewing more than 75 witnesses and compiling a dossier with more than 200 000 pages and audio interviews.

Controversy over the awarding of the next two World Cups had taken a further twist on Tuesday when FIFA lodged a criminal complaint over "possible misconduct" by individuals in connection with the bids.

Read more on:    fifa  |  swc 2022  |  swc 2018  |  michael garcia  |  soccer
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
4 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

Do you think SAFA made the right choice in appointing Stuart Baxter as head coach of Bafana Bafana?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.