Zurich - Top FIFA sponsors joined forces to demand Sepp Blatter's immediate
resignation on Friday, dealing a fresh bodyblow to the scandal-tainted
world football chief even as he vowed to cling to power.
separate statements issued one week after criminal proceedings were
launched against Blatter in Switzerland, Coca-Cola, McDonald's and Visa
all called on the 79-year-old to step down.
It marked the first
time that FIFA's powerful financial backers - who together have pumped
hundreds of millions of dollars into the organisation over the years -
had called explicitly for Blatter to resign.
In a statement issued by his US lawyer in reaction to the sponsor demands, Blatter defiantly vowed to remain in office.
McDonald's and Visa said Blatter's position was now untenable in the
wake of the corruption scandal that has plunged world football into its
"For the benefit of the game, The Coca-Cola
Company is calling for FIFA president Joseph Blatter to step down
immediately so that a credible and sustainable reform process can begin
in earnest," the soft-drinks giant said.
"Every day that passes,
the image and reputation of FIFA continues to tarnish. FIFA needs
comprehensive and urgent reform, and that can only be accomplished
through a truly independent approach."
McDonald's said the recent
wave of headlines meant Blatter, who had vowed to remain in the post
until the election of his successor early next year, could not continue.
events of recent weeks have continued to diminish the reputation of
FIFA and public confidence in its leadership," the US fast-food leader
"We believe it would be in the best interest of the game for
FIFA President Sepp Blatter to step down immediately so that the reform
process can proceed with the credibility that is needed."
Visa meanwhile cast doubt on Blatter's ability to clean up the swamp of sleaze in which FIFA is mired.
believe no meaningful reform can be made under FIFA's existing
leadership. And given the events of last week, it's clear it would be in
the best interests of FIFA and the sport for Sepp Blatter to step down
immediately," Visa said.
Blatter's New York attorney Richard
Cullen swiftly issued a statement saying the FIFA chief had no plans to
relinquish his position.
Blatter "believes firmly that his
leaving office now would not be in the best interest of FIFA nor would
it advance the process of reform and therefore, he will not resign," it
A FIFA spokeswoman declined to comment on the sponsor's
demands, which create a fresh headache for Blatter as he attempts to
remain in office.
Swiss prosecutors say Blatter is the target of a
probe into "criminal mismanagement" at FIFA, focusing on a 2005
television rights sale to the Caribbean Football Union and a payment of
two million Swiss francs ($2 million) made in 2011 to European football
chief Michel Platini, the frontrunner to succeed him.
Both Blatter and Platini have strongly denied any wrongdoing.
that criminal proceedings had been opened against Blatter last week
sent fresh shocks through the football world, deepening the crisis that
erupted in May, when the US Justice Department indicted 14 people over
bribery in football deals worth more than $150 million dating back to
Aside from an open criminal file against its president, nine FIFA officials have been charged in the United States.
former right-hand man, secretary general Jerome Valcke was suspended
last month over allegations that he was aware of a black market ticket
scheme surrounding the 2014 World Cup. Valcke denied the claims.