International

Barca excluded from TV deal

2015-06-25 09:17
La Liga (File)

Madrid - Spain's professional league is planning to offer international broadcasters the rights to show matches next season but the package will not include champions Barcelona and three other clubs.

La Liga has 38 of the 42 professional clubs in Spain's top two divisions on board and has appointed Spanish broadcaster Mediapro as its agent to negotiate with interested parties but Barca, along with Espanyol, Celta Vigo and Real Sociedad, will not be included.

Barca, the European champions, agreed in February to sell the rights to screen their league games next season to Spanish telecoms giant Telefonica, ending a long-standing collaboration with Mediapro.

Espanyol, Celta Vigo and Real Sociedad also had deals with Telefonica and would not be included in the Mediapro package either, a spokesman confirmed on Wednesday.

Spanish media have reported that Real Madrid have sold the international rights for their games next season to Microsoft.

However, a Microsoft spokesman told Reuters on Wednesday that was not the case and their technology agreement with Real did not include audiovisual rights.

Real did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

LaLiga's effort to centralise commercialisation of international TV rights next season is a first step towards the fully collective system of bargaining mandated in a government law approved in cabinet at the end of April.

The system is due to take full effect from the 2016-17 campaign and would end the current structure under which rights are sold by individual clubs, potentially paving the way for a sharp price increase.

However, attempting to market matches to international broadcasters without Barca, and their star players like Lionel Messi and Neymar, would lead to a reduced pot of revenue for the remaining 38 clubs to share.

Companies wishing to broadcast all matches next term will have to agree one deal with Mediapro/LaLiga and negotiate for the remaining matches with Telefonica.

"In the event that La Liga does not hold all the audiovisual rights for the 2015-16 season, the amount due to the clubs that it does have the rights for will be negotiated," the league said in a statement published late on Monday.

La Liga president Javier Tebas said last week he hoped agreement could be reached with Barca and the other three clubs "in coming years".

Read more on:    barcelona  |  la liga  |  soccer
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

Do you think SAFA made the right choice in appointing Stuart Baxter as head coach of Bafana Bafana?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.