Cape Town - Brazilian midfielder Fred says he is looking forward to a "very successful" campaign with Manchester United amid reported interest from Fiorentina.
The clock is ticking towards the end of the transfer window for most clubs outside of England with European teams still looking to do some late business to fine-tune their squad for the upcoming campaign - something which has irked one or two Premier League managers as they sweat over the futures of their star players.
It is fair to say that Fred's move to United last summer, for around £53m, has been far from successful with the Brazilian firstly failing to establish himself under Jose Mourinho, while Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has shown little belief that he can make it at Old Trafford.
Serie A side Fiorentina, though, are reported to be offering him a way out of Manchester and are claimed to be lining up a move before the Italian transfer window shuts on September 2.
Italian media outlet La Nazione not only claims that Viola sporting director Daniele Prade has prioritised his capture, but it has also suggested that United would be willing to let the 26-year-old leave for less than half of what they paid for him - 30million euros.
Time will obviously tell if such a deal is possible but it is certainly not coming from out of left field, given his lack of impact so far for the Red Devils.
Fred has scored just one goal and provided one assist in a Manchester United shirt in 13 Premier League starts since his arrival from Shakhtar Donetsk, while he has not been included in a matchday squad so far this season.
That, of course, may change with United failing to follow-up their 4-0 opening-day mauling of Chelsea by picking up just one point from their next two matches, with a shock 2-1 reverse at home to Crystal Palace last time out raising a number of questions.
Having lost the likes of Ander Herrera and Marouane Fellaini this summer, the experienced midfield options for Solskjaer are limited and although the Norwegian has placed an emphasis on youth in his tenure so far, he may just need an older head if things do not go according to plan on the pitch.
Fred is far from past it at 26 and, despite reports of Serie A interest, he has delivered a positive bulletin to United fans, insisting he will be a much better player this season.
Speaking to Inside United, Fred said: "The first year is always a little bit difficult, a year of adaptation, and, moreover, we had a season that wasn't too strong in terms of the Premier League.
"But now I'm more used to the league and I've been working hard. I've talked to the manager and backroom staff, and this season is going to be better than last season. I'm sure it is going to be very successful."
Words that hardly suggest he is interested in leaving, but money talks in football and every player has a price - the countdown is on to see if Fiorentina, or other clubs, want him enough.
There is also still uncertainty over the future of Alexis Sanchez with Serie A a possible destination for Fred's fellow South American, with Inter Milan - who have already raided United for striker Romelu Lukaku - believed to be holding a strong interest.