Cape Town - Central defender Marcos Rojo has
reportedly been told that he is not allowed to leave Manchester United
during the January transfer window.
The Argentina international saw a move to Everton collapse in the
summer because the Red Devils quoted the Toffees a £25 million fee before
There had been suggestions from Goodison Park that they might come
calling again if the Manchester giants were prepared to accept around
£15 million when the window reopens in the new year.
However, Rojo starred for United in Wednesday night's 2-1 Carabao Cup
win over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and is seemingly now set for an
extended stay at the Theatre of Dreams.
It is understood boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer recently told his board
that he can't afford to lose the South American at this stage, having
already allowed defender Chris Smalling to join Italian giants Roma on a
Along with Harry Maguire, Victor Lindelof and Phil Jones, the
Norwegian is concerned that any type of injury to one of those
experienced players, could leave him deep in the defensive mire.
United handed Rojo a new contract last season worth an improved
£140 000-per-week, having allowed his previous agreement to enter its
The former Sporting Lisbon player has been at United five years and
appeared to be heading for the exit door under previous manager Jose
Mourinho, having dropped down the defensive pecking order.
But the tough-tackling 29-year-old has been able to convince
Solskjaer that he is worth persevering with, should his previous poor
injury record not catch up with him.
Rojo's advisers had been putting out feelers in both his homeland and
Spain, but the feeling at United is they can afford to wait until next
summer before deciding if the time is right to sanction a sale.
- TeamTalk Media