Cape Town - Manchester
City have finally confirmed the signing of Benjamin Mendy on a
lucrative five-year contract reportedly worth £52 million.
BBC Sport claimed the deal had been agreed on Saturday without
official confirmation from the Citizens, who have finally landed their
target from Monaco.
Described as the one of the best attacking full-backs in Europe by
City director of football Txiki Begiristain, Mendy fills the void left
by the departed Gael Clichy and Alexander Kolarov.
"Benjamin has all the qualities we are looking for in a full-back," Begiristain told the club's official website.
"He is undoubtedly one of the world's best full-backs, our number-one
target in this position. We are all delighted to have him here at
The France international expressed his delight at joining the English
Premier giants under a manager whose philosophy is based on attacking
"I am absolutely delighted to be joining Manchester City," Mendy
said. "They are one of Europe's leading clubs and in Pep Guardiola they
have a manager committed to playing attacking football.
"I am sure that over the next few years we will be successful."