Manchester United have reportedly contacted Atletico Madrid regarding a potential move for forward Joao Felix in the off-season.
The Portugal attacker has endured a tough first season since his big
summer move to Atletico, with his value now said to have fallen to
around £72.9 million, due to the current financial crisis surrounding
football - as per Transfermarkt.
United had been prepared to cough-up the €130 million that the LaLiga paid
Benfica for the 20-year-old last summer, but it would now appear that
the player could be available for a much smaller fee.
Indeed, Spanish daily AS says United have already made 'first
contact' with Felix over a potential move to Old Trafford and to gauge
whether a move to Old Trafford would be of interest to him.
Felix - who has only scored six goals in 28 appearances for Atletico
since his arrival - is yet to convince Diego Simeone of his quality and
they would not stand in his way were a big-money bid to land at their
Felix remains a talented player and was watched closely by United before his move last year.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is looking to build a promising side around a
number of top young players, as well as Felix's fellow countryman Bruno
Indeed, a report from Le10 Sport on Monday claimed that Solskjaer
wanted to pair Felix and Fernandes together in a bid to steer the Red
Devils back towards being title contenders.
Furthermore, it's reported talks have already been held between
United and Jorge Mendes over a move to Old Trafford, with the
super-agent keen to move his client on to the Red Devils.
- TEAMtalk media