Cape Town - Jose
Fonte insists the recent comments made by West Ham owner David Sullivan
regarding the defender's signing from Southampton has "no effect" on
The Portugal international arrived at the London Stadium at the start
of the year with a good reputation after helping his country to the
Euro 2016 title just six months prior to his move.
Fonte had formed a formidable partnership with Virgil van Dijk in
defence for the Saints, but he struggled for form with the Irons during
the second half of last season.
The 33-year-old centre-back managed to lift his performances this
term before a foot injury sustained against Crystal Palace on October 28
ruled him out for three months.
Sullivan claimed on the eve of the Hammers' 1-0 victory over Chelsea
that former manager Slaven Bilic told him of the plans to bring in Fonte
and Robert Snodgrass during the January 2017 transfer window.
"My kids begged me not to sign them," the 68-year-old told the Guardian.
When asked for a response, Fonte told Sky Sports: "It's ignorance. I'm not going to say anything. It's not going to change who I am. It's not going to change what I do.
"I'm going to keep being the good professional that I am. I am going
to keep working hard to try and help my team-mates and the manager. What
has been said has no effect on me or who I am."
Saturday's win was David Moyes' first at the helm since replacing
Bilic last month, and Fonte acknowledges that his future lies in the
"That decision is not for me," he said. "I am 33 years of age. I have
500 or 600 appearances. I know what I have done in football. I know how
hard I have to work to be in this position.
"It makes no difference to me. I will still continue to be the same guy I have always been."