London - West Ham's former head of player recruitment, Tony Henry, has been charged with misconduct by England's governing Football Association (FA) over comments he made about African players earlier this year, it was announced Friday.
Henry was sacked by the Premier League side in February after the Daily Mail newspaper reported he had said in an email that the club would not sign any more African players as they "cause mayhem".
Those comments were deemed "unacceptable" by the London club and an FA statement issued Friday said: "Tony Henry, former West Ham United FC head of player recruitment, has been charged with misconduct in relation to comments he made which are alleged to be improper and/or insulting and/or abusive.
"It is further alleged that this breach of Rule E3(1) is an "aggravated breach" as defined in Rule E3(2), as it included reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or nationality and/or colour. Mr Henry has until May 15, 2018 to respond to the charge."
When they dismissed Henry, West Ham released a statement that said: "West Ham have today terminated the contract of director of player recruitment, Tony Henry, with immediate effect following his unacceptable comments that were widely reported in the press.
"Our action follows a full and thorough investigation. West Ham United will not tolerate any type of discrimination.
"The West Ham United family is an inclusive one where, regardless of gender, age, ability, race, religion or sexual orientation, everybody feels welcome and included."