Cape Town - Everton are believed to have entered back into talks with Sam Allardyce about filling the managerial vacancy at the Premier League club.
Toffees caretaker boss David Unsworth urged the board to make a permanent appointment after the heavy 4-1 defeat at Southampton on Sunday.
It was been five weeks since the Merseysiders sacked Ronald Koeman, and they made Watford manager Marco Silva their first choice to succeed the Dutchman on a full-time basis.
However, the Hornets have refused to give Silva permission to speak with their top-flight rivals, who have turned their attention back to Allardyce after initially holding talks with him earlier this month.
The 63-year-old walked away from management at the end of last season after guiding Crystal Palace to safety, although he's been linked with a number of jobs in the new campaign.
Earlier this month, the former Palace manager said that does not see himself managing the Merseyside Blues.
"It never materialised as I thought it would, unfortunately," he told Talksport. "For me such a long time without a decision, I had to make a decision myself.
"The decision was it was probably better it wasn't me, and I'd move on to something else. It would have been a fabulous job, but it just didn't feel right."