London - Tottenham Hotspur have reached an agreement with Valencia for the transfer of Spain striker Roberto Soldado, the north London club said Thursday, but Gareth Bale's future remains uncertain.
Last week Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas had revealed the English Premier League outfit were in talks with the Spanish side over Soldado.
On Thursday the club revealed on its website that a deal, believed to be worth a club record 26 million pounds (30 million euros, $40 million), had been agreed.
"We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Valencia for the transfer of Roberto Soldado subject to a medical," read a statement on tottenhamhotspur.com.
Valencia also confirmed on their official site that a deal had been done, adding that it was for the equivalent of Soldado's "release clause".
Should the reported figure prove accurate it would mark the second time Tottenham have broken their club transfer record this summer following the 17m deal that brought in Paulinho from Corinthians in July.
Soldado, 28, is expected to sign a four-year contract once a medical is completed on Friday and will become Spurs' third signing of the close season following the arrivals of Paulinho and Nacer Chadli.
Speaking from Hong Kong last week where Spurs were involved in a pre-season friendly tournament, Villas-Boas had said of the player: "Roberto is one of the players we have been following and his career speaks for itself. He's a great striker."
Soldado started his career at Real Madrid but he made only 16 first team appearances before being sold to Getafe in 2008, having spent the 2006/07 season on loan at Osasuna.
He moved to Valencia in 2010 and netted 80 goals in 146 appearances for the club.
He made his Spain debut in 2007 and has scored six times in 11 appearances while he was part of the squad at June's Confederations Cup, where his country reached the final.
On Wednesday Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti confirmed the Spanish giants were in talks to sign Bale amid speculation the La Liga side could be prepared to break the world transfer record for the highly-rated winger.
"It is difficult to talk about Bale because he is not a Real Madrid player at present," Ancelotti told a news conference in Los Angeles on Wednesday evening as reports suggested the Spaniards would be willing to splash out £85 million for the Wales international.
"I think the club is negotiating to try to find a solution and we will see what happens," Ancelotti added, according to a report on realmadrid.com.