London - Liverpool said on Thursday they are confident that striker Daniel Sturridge will be fit for the start of the 2013-14 campaign after he injured his ankle while playing for England.
The 23-year-old was taken off in England's 1-1 draw with the Republic of Ireland at Wembley last week, but despite initial fears of ligament damage, further assessment revealed he had suffered only a sprain.
"Liverpool Football Club hope to have striker Daniel Sturridge available for the beginning of the 2013-14 Barclays Premier League campaign," the club said in a statement on their website.
"Sturridge's ankle injury has been reviewed by a specialist. He suffered a high ankle sprain and Liverpool's medical staff had to allow the swelling to reduce before a final assessment was made."
Sturridge's availability at the start of the season is likely to be a key issue for Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, who is currently short of strikers.
Luis Suarez has six games to serve of a 10-game ban for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic and has been linked with a move away from the club, while record signing Andy Carroll, who spent the season on loan at West Ham United, has reportedly been deemed surplus to requirements.
However, British media reports claim Liverpool have agreed a fee of around £8 million for Celta Vigo forward Iago Aspas.
Liverpool have announced they are to tackle Preston North End in a friendly game on July 13 to mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of iconic former Reds manager and Preston player Bill Shankly.