King penalty sees Hull home

2008-12-06 19:46

Hull - Hull staged a dramatic late fightback to beat 10-man Middlesbrough 2-1 at the KC Stadium on Saturday.

Phil Brown's team looked to be heading for a seventh successive match without a win when Tuncay Sanli gave Middlesbrough the lead with 11 minutes to play.

But Middlesbrough goalkeeper Ross Turnbull gifted Hull a lifeline with an unfortunate own goal and Marlon King stole the points when he drove home a penalty five minutes from full-time after David Wheater was sent off for a professional foul.

The victory ended Hull's barren run and lifted the Premier League's surprise package back up to fifth place, while Middlesbrough are now without a win in four matches.

Gareth Southgate's visitors started well with shots from Jeremie Aliadiere and Stewart Downing keeping the hosts on their toes early on.

Hull soon sparked into life and Geovanni should have put them in front from a lightning counter attack, only for the Brazilian to loop his header, from a superb cross by King, well wide.

On the hour mark Brown hauled off midfielders Nick Barmby and Dean Marney and replaced the pair with striker Daniel Cousin and winger Bernard Mendy.

Mendy was soon on the ball and broke down the right before slipping his pass through to Geovanni, who drove wide from around 30 yards.

Middlesbrough midfielder Didier Digard then brought Boaz Myhill into action with a speculative effort.

Aliadiere should have done better for Boro when he broke into the Hull area but he shot straight at Myhill from close range.

Boro took the lead with 12 minutes remaining when Aliadiere sent Justin Hoyte clear down the right and he crossed for Sanli to flick the ball in from three yards.

But Hull produced an immediate response to turn the game on its head in the 82nd minute.

Mendy found space to get in a shot from the right-hand side of the area and his powerful low effort rebounded off the post and bounced in off Turnbull.

Three minutes later Geovanni was through on goal, only to be brought down by Wheater.

Referee Steve Tanner had no hesitation in sending the defender off and King calmly side-footed home the resulting penalty.