Cape Town - SAFA has confirmed that Mvuzo Mbebe, a sports administrator and former AFCON and CHAN Local Organising Committee member, has lost his battle against cancer.
SAFA's statement on the passing of Mvuzo Mbebe:
Former 2013 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) and African Nations Championship (CHAN) Local Organising Committee CEO and SABC Executive, Mvuzo Mbebe (52) has passed away.
He died at 22h30 on Monday, October 19 at the ARWYP Private Hospital in Kempton Park after losing battle with colon cancer.
Mbebe who was also the African Zone 6 Council of Sport, Secretary-General was diagnosed with the cancer of the colon in 2013 and has been undergoing continuous treatment since then.
He died of the complications from the cancer after being admitted at the ARWYP Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit (ICU) on Thursday, October 8.
He is survived by his wife Nomalungelo (Noma) and two children – son Ntsika and daughter Avuziwe aged 18 and 11 years respectively. He also leaves behind his mother Thenjiwe Ngqula, brother Andile and sister Mona Lisa.
SAFA President, Dr Danny Jordaan said the nation had lost one of the greatest sports administrators of modern times.
“Mvuzo’s contribution to sports in this country is well-documented. He fought against racial segregation and until his death strived for sporting excellence. May his soul rest in peace,” said the SAFA President.
He will be buried at his home in UMzimkhulu, KwaZulu-Natal, on a date to be announced.