Cape Town - Kamohelo Mokotjo has slammed Shakes Mashaba for his comments on why he was not selected for Bafana Bafana.
Read: Emotional Erasmus looks back
“I was in camp with him the whole time and he never said anything, but now out of nowhere he has stuff to say about me in the media that I find disrespectful,” said the FC Twente midfielder to Soccer Laduma.
Mashaba opted for Thulani Serero and Reneilwe Letsholonyane in his recent chosen Bafana squad announcement, dropping Mokotjo completely.
The 64-year-old said last week that the midfielder “shows signs of sluggishness” and the process of joining a new club “took its toll on him”.
The Bafana coach admitted that the former SuperSport United player’s Bafana career is far from over and that he will get his chance again.
The 23-year-old revealed that the comments made should not have seen the light of day and that his opinion should have been in a face-to-face conversation between himself and Mashaba.
“He could have just told me what he thought of me to my face rather than calling me heavy and sluggish and saying that moving to a new club has taken its toll on me. That I don’t appreciate because none of it is true.”
Mokotjo said that the decision on selecting players is truly his choice and is not bothered about being snubbed.
Bafana are due to play Congo in back-to-back games in the AFCON qualifying rounds. The 2015 tournament will held in Morocco between January 17 and February 7.
Bafana Bafana fixtures:
Saturday, October 11, Congo v SA (Pointe Noire) at 16:30.
Wednesday, October 15, SA vs Congo (Peter Mokaba Stadium) at 20:05.