Bafana Bafana

Licence holder say SABC lying about Bafana

2015-05-29 19:35

CAPE TOWN — The SABC is lying over claims to have secured Bafana Bafana TV rights to show any national team soccer games on television and no valid contract with the SABC exists, pay-TV operator Siyaya TV and Safa say.

In a joint statement, the South African Football Association (Safa) and Siyaya TV, the new pay-TV consortium, said the SABC is lying.

It comes after the public broadcaster’s famously matricless and highly controversial chief operating officer (COO) Hlaudi Motsoeneng on Wednesday said the SABC and SafA have reached a three-year agreement over the broadcasting rights to show all local Bafana Bafana games, Banyana Banyana, as well as the men’s under-20 and under-23 games.

Hlaudi Motsoeneng went on SABC2’s Morning Live on Wednesday to announce the deal — which Siyaya TV and Safa say doesn’t exist.

Siyaya TV, which got its pay-TV licence from the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) in November 2014, now threatens to sue the SABC if for instance the Banyana 2016 Olympic qualifying game on Sunday against Gabon is broadcast.

Siyaya TV owns the rights to all of the national soccer games after the consortium last year signed a R1 billion contract with Safa in a six-year deal and says it’s actually busy negotiating with Sabido’s free-to-air commercial TV channel e.tv to show the national soccer games.

After Hlaudi Motsoeneng bragged on Morning Live over securing the rights, the SABC also issued a press statement in which it said the SABC’s agreement to show Bafana and other national team games will run from 2015 to 2017, with the SABC giving soccer-loving South Africans “an opportunity to see their national teams in action”.

In a joint statement from Safa and Siyaya TV, the two organisations say “Safa wishes to place on record that Siyaya TV is and will remain a long-term strategic broadcast partner of Safa. We emphatically reject any speculation or statements to the contrary.”

In a separate statement, Siyaya TV’s founder Aubrey Tau launched a scathing attack on the SABC and Hlaudi Motsoeneng’s claims, saying the public broadcaster is lying over having any broadcasting rights.

Tau says Siyaya TV approached the SABC two months ago in order to discuss the granting of free-to-air broadcasting rights to the SABC, but that Siyaya TV was “summarily rejected by the SABC who refused to deal with Siyaya TV on the matter”.

— SuperSport

NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
2 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Vote

Do you think SAFA made the right choice in appointing Stuart Baxter as head coach of Bafana Bafana?

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.